Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural
2. Carlisle's long tradition of education began early, with private academies flourishing by 1773. In 1837, Carlisle established Pennsylvania's first public high school. Dickinson College was chartered in 1783, followed by the Dickinson School of Law in 1836. Other local schools included Carlisle Commercial College and the Carlisle Indian Industrial School.
3. Mary (Ludwig) Hays McCauley, better known as Molly Pitcher, lived most of her life in Carlisle. She is traditionally believed to have carried water to thirsty troops at the Revolutionary War Battle of Monmouth, and to have taken her husband's place in battle. She is memorialized in the Old Graveyard.
4. Jim Thorpe, a Sac and Fox Indian from Oklahoma, arrived at the Carlisle Indian School in 1904. Widely considered the greatest athlete of the 20th century, he became the only Olympian ever to win gold medals in both the pentathlon and decathlon events, at the 1912 Games in
5. Affording a spectacular view of the Cumberland Valley, Flat Rock, near Doubling Gap, has an elevation of nearly 2000 feet.
6. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Two Mile House was built in the 1820s, and served as a tavern for nearly 40 years. Named for its distance from the square of Carlisle, Two Mile House is operated by the Cumberland County Historical Society.
7. Cumberland County has always been a transportation hub; early Indian trails were followed by roads and railroad lines. By 1900, trolleys linked many local communities, and the opening of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in 1940 ushered in the era of the superhighway.
8. Proximity to plentiful fresh water was crucial to the success of Cumberland County's early settlements. Carlisle was founded on the banks of the LeTort Stream, which never freezes over and which is known worldwide for its brown trout and excellent fly-fishing.
Erected 2001 by The Downtown Carlisle Association and The G. B. Stuart Charitable Foundation.
Location. 40° 12.103′ N, 77° 11.465′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling west. Marker is in gated area immediately Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 W High Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prelude to Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); Cumberland County Historical Society & Hamilton Library Association (a few steps from this marker); Centenary Building (a few steps from this marker); Carlisle Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carlisle Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); The High Street Train Stations (within shouting distance of this marker); James Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Butler (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 13, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.