Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cass City in Tuscola County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Three people gathered in June 1877 to form the First Presbyterian Society of Cass City. The congregation soon called its first pastor, the Reverend John Kelland, who led fundraising efforts to build a permanent home for the society. By the fall of 1878, a wood building was erected on this site. The current church, which incorporated the original building, was dedicated on February 10, 1907, with three services. The city´s other churches closed that day as their members joined in the celebration. Noted at that time for its "modern conveniences," the church retains such historic features as its auditorium-style seating, stained and art glass windows, and 1865 Henry Erban Tracker organ. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2216.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 
First Presbyterian Church and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, June 30, 2020
2. First Presbyterian Church and Historical Marker
36.128′ N, 83° 10.462′ W. Marker is in Cass City, Michigan, in Tuscola County. Marker is at the intersection of Seeger Street and Church Street when traveling north on Seeger Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6505 Church St, Cass City MI 48726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elkland Township Hall (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Reward Road No. 1 (approx. one mile away); Gagetown (approx. 5.2 miles away); Owendale (approx. 9.9 miles away).
 
Cornerstone from the original church image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
3. Cornerstone from the original church
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 30, 2020
4. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021