Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Ferndale Club

 
 
Ferndale Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
1. Ferndale Club Marker
Inscription.  

It was the vision of Leesburg physician and banker J.B. Florence that led to creation of the Ferndale Club, once called Fern, Fin and Feathers. In 1908, Florence and friends planned a hunting and fishing club. Drawing members from Pittsburg, the men bought land along Lilly Creek and built a dam at Flat Ford, creating Ferndale Lake. The popular fishing and duck hunting club, chartered in July 1909, expanded its membership and, in 1912, built a clubhouse to accommodate guests and social functions. The club continues today, utilizing professionally managed wildlife habitat and fish stocking programs.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13180.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Entertainment. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1909.
 
Location. 32° 57.327′ N, 95° 4.025′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is on Ferndale Road (County Highway 3322) half a mile south of Farm to Market Road 1519, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leesburg Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Reeves Chapel (approx. 2.7 miles away); New Mine Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); New Mine Baptist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); Matinburg Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cherokee Trace (approx. 5.3 miles away); Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 6.1 miles away); Abernathy House (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
 
Entrance to the Ferndale Club and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
2. Entrance to the Ferndale Club and Marker
The view of the Ferndale Club and marker from the road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
3. The view of the Ferndale Club and marker from the road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 796 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=160959

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 21, 2024