Near Gilmer in Upshur County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church
The Oak Hill Baptist Church, the first Baptist congregation in this area, was organized about 1870. Early services were held in a one-room log school house near this site. On Nov. 12, 1884, Mrs. Carrie V. Johnson donated two and one-third acres to the church, and soon thereafter, a frame structure was built by a carpenter named Hardin. The name was changed to Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church about 1900 to reflect the evangelical persuasion of the congregation. The present church sanctuary was erected in 1948.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11332.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 49.206′ N, 94° 59.605′ W. Marker is near Gilmer, Texas, in Upshur County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2088 one mile west of Farm to Market Road 2454, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gilmer TX 75644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bettie Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Jefferson-Quitman Road Matinburg Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away); C.S.A Hat Factory (approx. 6.7 miles away); Ragland Clinic-Hospital (approx. 6.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Gilmer (approx. 6.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Gilmer (approx. 6.8 miles away); Upshur County Bell (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilmer.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.