Near George West in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1918 had a post office, Guffeyola, in store of H.H. McGuffey. After oil and gas discoveries, 1917-1922, was tent city then town of shotgun houses. Piped first natural gas to San Antonio.
Name was changed 1923 to honor J.T. Calliham, rancher and townsite owner. Still produces oil and exports fine rocks and petrified wood.
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 637.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 28.807′ N, 98° 20.924′ W. Marker is near George West, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on Park Road 8 (County Route 302) 2 miles west of Richter Road when traveling north. This marker is located in Choke Canyon State Park, Calliham Unit. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calliham TX 78007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Producing Gas Well in McMullen County and First Gas Pipeline to San Antonio (here, next to this marker); Yarbrough Bend (approx. 5.8 miles away); Townsite of Wentz (approx. 5.8 miles away); Rialto Theater (approx. 10.2 miles away); Felix Longoria (approx. 10.2 miles away); Jessy Franklin Gray (approx. 10.2 miles away); Town of Whitsett (approx. 11.7 miles away); Camp Rio Frio, C.S.A. (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2020. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on November 28, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?