Union Grove in Upshur County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Union Grove Schools
The earliest recorded school in this area was held at the home of pioneer settler John O'Byrne. In 1888, a public school opened with J.H. Sheppard as the teacher. The first half of the 20th century saw much growth for Union Grove schools, with the creation of Union Grove Common School District No. 42 in 1907; the construction of new buildings in 1909, 1920 and 1933; and the 1930s oil boom, which greatly increased the tax base and population of the district. Over the years, the Union Grove school campus expanded to include elementary, Junior and Senior high schools, an auditorium, cafeteria, library, shop buildings and a football stadium. In 1965, Union Grove became an Independent School District.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12692.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 32° 34.26′ N, 94° 55.317′ W. Marker is in Union Grove, Texas, in Upshur County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Grove Road and Bowden Road, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gladewater TX 75647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Foshee Family Homestead (approx. 2˝ miles away); Rosedale Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 2.7 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Gladewater (approx. 2.7 miles away); John Ben Shepperd (approx. 2.7 miles away); First Franchised Motor Bus Line in Texas (approx. 2.8 miles away); Gladewater (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Gladewater Discovery Well (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.