Ontario in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
El Morado Court Historic District
— 1934 —
Central School was founded in 1887 and was Ontario’s first public school. This is the third school building on this site and was designed by Harry L. Pierce. It was built in 1934 as a WPA project. It is one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Ontario and is one of Ontario's three remaining historic schools.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 34° 4.263′ N, 117° 38.805′ W. Marker is in Ontario, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on G Street 0.2 miles east of Euclid Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 East G St, Ontario CA 91764, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Morado Court Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); George Chaffey, Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); WCTU Fountain (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ontario Town SquareRosewood Court Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Olive Mill (approx. half a mile away); Mule Car (approx. half a mile away); Nine Young Pepper Trees (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ontario.
More about this marker. The name of the school is now Central Language Academy.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.