Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Gladewater in Gregg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Gladewater

 
 
Gladewater Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
1. Gladewater Marker
Inscription.  

Timber, water, game attracted prehistoric man. Rich soil farmed since 1300 A.D. Spanish explorer visited 1788. Included in Mexican and Republic of Texas Land Grants once occupied by Caddo and Cherokee Indians.

Farmers, lumbermen settled during 1840's. Area served by stagecoaches, freight wagons, Sabine river paddleboats, town, named for nearby Glade creek, established 1873 by arrival of T&P Railroad. Timber, cotton based economy.

Oil discovered in 1931. Boom brought overnight growth from 300 to 10,000 people; 500 producing wells in town limits. Became refining, production, supply hub.
 
Erected 1988 by Gladewater Heritage Society. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 32° 32.076′ N, 94° 56.677′ W. Marker is in Gladewater, Texas, in Gregg County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 271) and West Commerce Avenue, on the right when traveling
Gladewater Marker with Railroad in the background. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
2. Gladewater Marker with Railroad in the background.
south on South Main Street. The marker is located just south of the railroad tracks facing Main Street next to the sidewalk at the Main Street Pavilion. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gladewater TX 75647, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gladewater Discovery Well (within shouting distance of this marker); First Franchised Motor Bus Line in Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. E. L. and Nannie Lewis Walker House (about 500 feet away); John Ben Shepperd (about 500 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Gladewater (about 700 feet away); Gladewater Lodge No. 852, A.F. & A.M. (about 800 feet away); Foshee Family Homestead (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Gladewater (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gladewater.
 
Also see . . .
1. Gladewater - Antique Capital of East Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Texas Oil Boom. Wikipedia (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

3. The Texas and Pacific Railroad (known as the T&P). Wikipedia (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Gladewater Marker by Main Street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
3. The view of the Gladewater Marker by Main Street
The Gladewater Discovery Well at the Main Street Pavilion. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 8, 2020
4. The Gladewater Discovery Well at the Main Street Pavilion.
The pumping unit was used on the Snavely #1 Well in 1931 and started the Oil Boom for Gladewater. There is an additional marker for the Well at the Pavilion.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021