Near Frankston in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mount Vernon United Methodist Church
Early denominational records indicate that this congregation was in existence as a mission church as early as 1880. In 1896, A.L. and Susanna Herrington donated one acre to the county to be used for a free school. A one-room school building was erected on the site, on Walnut Creek twelve miles north of Palestine, and also served as a church meeting place. The community was known as Mount Vernon, and the Methodist Church assumed that name, also.
The one- room building was moved in 1907 two miles north of its original location, and two rooms were added to the structure for the growing school. The congregation continued to meet in the building until 1913, when this site, across the road from the school building, was deeded to the Mount Vernon Methodist Episcopal Church, South. A sanctuary was completed the same year.
The church has maintained active programs over the years, and has served as a training ground for many young ministers and student pastors from nearby Lon Morris College. For over one hundred years, the Mount Vernon Methodist Church has served as a center for its rural community.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8783.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 31° 55.304′ N, 95° 32.885′ W. Marker is near Frankston, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 436 and County Highway 435, on the left when traveling south on County Highway 436. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankston TX 75763, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mound Prairie Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Murdoch McDonald (approx. 4.9 miles away); Site of the Kickapoo Battlefield (approx. 7.9 miles away); Frankston Railroad Depot (approx. 9.2 miles away); Frankston City Park (approx. 9.2 miles away); Cuney (approx. 10.8 miles away); Old Montalba (approx. 11.3 miles away); Col. Homer Garrison, Jr. (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankston.
Also see . . . Pert, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.