Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
St. Joseph Catholic Church
The original church and school were dedicated on Jan. 6, 1866. Parish was operated by Franciscan friars from 1875-2002. Ursuline Sisters staffed the school from 1867-1975. Due to declining enrollment, the school closed in 2003. Since 2002, the parish has been administered by priests from the Archdiocese of Louisville.
Erected 2016 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2485.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 15.459′ N, 85° 43.602′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is on East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1406 East Washington Street, Louisville KY 40206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Frederick Geiger / Early Butchertown (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Heigold Facade (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jug Band Pioneer (approx. 0.6 miles away); Catherine Spalding / St. Vincent Orphanage and Infirmary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thomas Edison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Since 1842 / Since 1858 (approx. 0.7 miles away); The 32nd Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment Civil War Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Unknown Union Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.