Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The State Legislature established Edwards County in 1883, and the Community of Leakey became the county seat the next year. In 1887, the Floral School property, on Schoolhouse Square, was transferred to Edwards County officials for use as the Leakey School. Although the county seat moved to Rocksprings in 1891, the Leakey School continued to grow. When the Legislature created Real County in 1913, Leakey again served as a county seat.
In 1919, Real County Judge Ed Kelly established the Leakey Independent School District. A.G. Weston donated a site for a new school building, which opened in 1922. The district constructed a larger school in 1930. That same year, West Frio students began attending classes
In 1941, the Leakey district adopted a 12th-grade system, and over the years added additional programs and facilities for area children. Annual reunions bring alumni together to celebrate the community and its commitment to education.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13020.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 29° 43.813′ N, 99° 45.671′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on U.S. 83, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 429 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leakey Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakey Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Leakey (approx. ¼ mile away); Real County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Real County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Real County (approx. 0.3 miles Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.