Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Uvalde "Leader-News"

 
 
The Uvalde "Leader-News" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 28, 2020
1. The Uvalde "Leader-News" Marker
Inscription.  This newspaper succeeded earlier ones: the Uvalde "Hesperian" (founded 1879), "West Texan" (1884), the Uvalde "News" (1886), and the "Leader" of 1898.

Harry P. Hornby (1876-1948), an Englishman, arrived in January 1898 and in three weeks launched the "Leader". Three years later this paper absorbed the "News" and took the present name. The "Leader-News" was sold in 1908 to Frank M. Getzendaner and in 1919 to Bessie Fletcher. By 1925, Hornby was again Editor and Publisher. He also had other business and civic activities, including holding office as mayor in 1926-1930. The paper attracted national attention in 1931 by its triumphant support of local citizen John Nance Garner for the Vice President of the United States.

The son, Harry Hornby, after four years as a U.S. Marine officer, began editing the "Leader-News" in 1946, and with his wife became owner in 1948. The paper in the 1960s boosted the candidacy of another local resident, Dolph Briscoe, who became the Governor of Texas. Maintaining policies stated in the first issue, the "Leader-News" continues to support new enterprise and industry; its editorials promote education,
The Uvalde "Leader-News" image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 28, 2020
2. The Uvalde "Leader-News"
recreation, and conservation improvements in Uvalde and throughout the state.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5446.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 29° 12.614′ N, 99° 47.127′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on North East Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 North East Street, Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rice Hotel and Saddlery (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Wood Black (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Kincaid Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Texas Wagon Yards (about 400 feet away); Grand Opera House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021