Charloe in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Imaginary Likeness Of Chief Charloe Peter
The last Chief of Oknoksee Village
Oquanoxas Indian reserve prior to 1820
The Indian chieftain and his tribe west westward about 1820.
In 1839 a town was formed and platted here, it was named Charloe after the Indian Chief.
Benjamin F. Hollister, proprietor of the town of Charloe built a court house in this village in 1841.
This stone was originally painted on June 6, 1926 and it was set in concrete in this park and repainted on July 5, 1958 by
Coy A. Weller, Flint, Michigan formerly of Charloe, Ohio
It now sits on lot no. 171 of the original plat facing what was Front Street.
It is presented to this community as a lasting memento of Charloe where the first court house was built in Paulding County, Ohio
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Government & Politics • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 7.9′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10732 Rd 171, Paulding OH 45879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charloe (a few steps from this marker); Charloe Community Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Indians (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Brown (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site of Fort Brown (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals (approx. 4˝ miles away); Joshua A. Ramsey Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away); Location of The Village of Milburn (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charloe.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.