Santa Maria's Oldest Building
This ground was broken on September 16, 1903 and the foundation was laid on November 20, 1903. This building originally contained three separate businesses; a harness shop, a hardware store, and a locally owned bank. The construction of this building profoundly influenced the incorporation of Santa Maria in 1905.
Three generations later in 1991, Wineman family descendants, Catherine Banks
McBride and Dominica Banks Bradley Touchstone, refurbished this building.
Erected 1991 by Native Daughters of the Golden West Sant Maria Parlor #276.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 16, 1903.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historical Site of the First Masonic Temple in the County of Santa Barbara (within shouting distance of this marker); IOOF Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of William Alvin Newton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Maria Libraries (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Masonic Cornerstone of Carnegie Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Reuben Hart Residence (approx. 0.3 miles away); Santa Maria Valley World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The American Woman Veteran (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Maria.
More about this marker. Although the marker has a Main Street address, it is not visible from Main Street. It is instead best reached by entering the parking lot on the west side of South Broadway, just south of West Main Street. From the parking lot entrance, it will be about 75 feet ahead, on the right.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.