Woodville in Tyler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Henry T. Scott School
Early African American citizens of Woodville educated their children in local churches and Masonic halls well into the twentieth century. Efforts to develop a better public school system for the students began with the dynamic leadership of educator Henry T. Scott. A native of Tyler County, Scott trained at Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College and taught in Beaumont before moving to Woodville as a teacher in 1910. Here, he worked to raise funds for a new school. Thanks to his vision and perseverance, a six-room school named for him opened on Elm Street (now Martin Luther King Drive) in 1934, only two years before his death.
Scott School experienced its greatest early growth under John K. Canada, who became Principal in 1947. He set high standards for the students and the development of school curriculum, and under his leadership the student body increased from fewer than 100 students to more than 500. As a result of the growth and the introduction of new programs, Canada worked with Superintendent B.H. McGuire and district officials to plan for a larger campus at this site, purchased in 1959. The new Scott School
Henry T. Scott School developed as an important institution in Woodville, and its graduates included many accomplished in their chosen professions and prominent in community activities. The school closed in the late 1960s as a result of integration, and the main building burned in 1980. Today, an active alumni association helps preserve the memories of Scott School and its namesake, Henry T. Scott, both revered in the history of Tyler County.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13734.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 30° 46.336′ N, 94° 25.359′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is at the intersection of West Live Oak Street and South Pecan Street, on the right when traveling east on West Live Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodville TX 75979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of James Edward Wheat (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rev. Acton Young (approx. half a mile away); Woodville Academy and Woodville College (approx. half a mile away); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (approx. half a mile away); Tyler County CourthouseTyler County (approx. half a mile away); Texas Statesman Allan Shivers (approx. half a mile away); Woodville Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.