The Los Alamos General Store
Built in 1880 by Alfed Newman
In 1900 the store was purchased by Max King and renamed "The Emporium"
It became the property of Mr. and Mrs. G. Harold Mather in 1971 when they restored it to its original character and charm.
Erected 1972 by Santa Barbara Historical Society, Native Daughters of the Golden West Reina Del Mar Parlor No. 126.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 34° 44.636′ N, 120° 16.709′ W. Marker is in Los Alamos, California, in Santa Barbara County. Marker is on Bell Street (State Highway 135) east of Centennial Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 458 Bell Street, Los Alamos CA 93440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Union Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1880 Union Hotel (about 500 feet away); Chapel of San Ramon (approx. 7˝ miles away);
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.