Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Central Baptist Church
The Baptists of Livingston established Ariel Baptist Church circa 1852. The church petitioned for membership in the Bethlehem Association, which consisted of nine Texas counties, in 1855. Ariel Baptist Church belonged to a series of later associations until serving as a founding congregation of the Unity Baptist Association circa 1908. The church has also changed names through the years; it became Livingston Baptist Church after the Civil War, and changed to Central Baptist Church in 1917.
From the time of its founding until 1887, the church shared a building with other congregations in Livingston, but in that year, Mrs. Susan Hunt and Mrs. Patience Watts sold Livingston City Block 41 to the church, and the two women contributed one third of the $75 purchase price. The church's first permanent structure was completed in early 1888. A second structure of red brick was constructed at the site in 1906, and several additional buildings have been added to the church's physical plant through the years.
The church has been active in missions, educational programs and outreach in the community throughout its history. The ladies'
Marker is property of the State of Texas 2009
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15957.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 30° 42.751′ N, 94° 55.825′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of North East Avenue and East Polk Street, on the left when traveling north on North East Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 North East Avenue, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Livingston Cemetery (about 400 feet away); "Polk County Enterprise" (about 500 feet away); Polk County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); First State Bank of Livingston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named Polk County (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.