Near Rocksprings in Edwards County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Organized September 10, 1883
Named in honor of
Leader of the Fredonian War
County seat, Leakey 1883
Rocksprings, since 1890
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 1401.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 2.155′ N, 100° 11.634′ W. Marker is near Rocksprings, Texas, in Edwards County. Marker is on U.S. 377 1.3 miles north of East Edwards Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocksprings TX 78880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rocksprings Cemetery (approx. one mile away); The Rock Spring (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Carson Store (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gilmer Hotel Edwards County Courthouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rocksprings Telephone Company (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Headquarters, American Angora Goat Breeders' Assn. (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rocksprings.
Also see . . . Edwards County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.