Rice Lake in Barron County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Logging and Lumbering in the Rice Lake Area
Henry Schoolcraft, Indian agent from Sault St. Marie, MI travels down the Red Cedar River to Rice Lake and held council with the Chippewa Indians at this approximate site.
The Knapp Stout Co. purchased thousands of acres of Northern Wisconsin virgin pine. This purchase ushered in the logging era.
John H. Knapp, Henry L Stout, Andrew Tainter, and William Wilson purchase the property where you are now standing. This became the lumbering hub of northern Wisconsin.
The first dam was built at the present location in Rice Lake.
The Knapp Stout General Store was relocated from Louseburg to approximate site of the Rice Lake Regional Airport.
Knapp Stout Company builds a small saw mill (with one single up and down saw) north of the present dam. The output for this mill was used locally.
The Knapp Stout Company was known as the largest lumber corporation in the world.
The rail lines reach Rice Lake bringing more people and allowing more logs to be shipped in and lumber to be
The Rice Lake Lumber Company began operation in Rice Lake. The Mill was large, utilizing the most modern technology of that time. It was owned by Orrin Ingram of Eau Claire and was constructed ¼ mile southeast of the present dam. It continued to coexist with Knapp Stout until 1901. The building on the Northeast corner of Main & Allen Street was constructed as the headquarters. It still serves local businesses.
Erected by National Lumbering Hall of Fame.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 45° 29.896′ N, 91° 43.885′ W. Marker is in Rice Lake, Wisconsin, in Barron County. Marker can be reached from Stein Street east of South Main Street (County Road SS), on the right when traveling east. Leftmost of two markers in kiosk on east side of the Lumbering Hall of Fame & Boat Landing parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Stein Street, Rice Lake WI 54868, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rice Lake, a City Built of Lumber (here, next to this marker); The Mystery of the Concrete PillarsLentz Steam Engine (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church (approx. 4½ miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Rice Lake, Wisconsin Lumbering History
Also see . . .
1. Knapp, Stout & Company. On June 1, 1846 John H. Knapp, Sr., William Wilson, a Mr. Green and David Black took over the operation of a sawmill on Wilson Creek in Wisconsin. The mill, renamed Knapp & Black, had been constructed in 1831 and was considered the oldest mill in the state. The firm experienced a rapid expansion between 1866 and 1869 with three mills opened in Wisconsin. (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Knapp, Stout & Company. By 1870, the company had control of the Red Cedar River valley. Crews moved through the wilderness, cutting the virgin timber and preparing it for its river voyage. Pioneers followed, removing stumps and preparing the rich land for farming. Communities sprang up around the company's dams and mill sites. From 1871 to 1896 the company, sent an average 85 million board feet of lumber down the Red Cedar, Chippewa and Mississippi Rivers to St. Louis. (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Forestry museum, lumbering hall of fame efforts increasing. Evidence of northern Wisconsin’s proud lumbering heritage can be found throughout the region. Look no further than the street signs in the city of Rice Lake, many which bear the familiar surnames of prominent lumber barons such as Knapp, Stout, Tainter and Wilson. (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 4, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.