Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in early 1850's by Martin Wieland, from Dessau, Germany. Used as a neighborhood fort. Enlarged 1873, 1912.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15352.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 24.612′ N, 97° 38.327′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Fort Dessau Road west of Bauhaus Bend, on the right when traveling west. The marker may be hard to see from the street as it is attached to the old fort. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1425 Fort Dessau Rd, Austin TX 78753, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Evangelical Lutheran Church of Dessau (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oertli Dairy (approx. 1.3 miles away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Pflugerville (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pflugerville SchoolsSt. Mary Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Walnut Creek Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bohls House (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Fortress Home marker application. This link provides detailed information on the blockhouse. (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on December 2, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2020, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on December 2, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.