Bancroft in Cuming County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
John G. Neihardt Center
John Gneisenau Neihardt (1881-1973), teacher, philosopher, and Nebraska Poet Laureate, moved to Bancroft in 1900. Here he first became acquainted with Indians, married, and began his major work, A Cycle of the West, a five-part epic poem "designed to celebrate the great mood of courage that developed west of the Missouri River in the 19th Century."
The John G. Neihardt Study Restoration Project was founded in 1965 by Evelyn Vogt to preserve Neihardt's one-room study in Bancroft. In 1967 the Study Restoration Project was incorporated as the John G. Neihardt Foundation for the purpose of constructing a building to house a museum, library, and research facility to preserve Neihardt's works and effects. In 1968, by gubernatorial proclamation, the first Sunday in each August was designated Neihardt Day in Nebraska.
In 1974 State Senator Blair Richendifer of Walthill introduced in the Nebraska Legislature L.B. 855, which appropriate the "sum of two hundred thousand dollars for the purpose of constructing the John G. Neihardt Center" to be adminisitered by the Nebraska State Historical Society in close cooperation with
Erected by John G. Neihardt Foundation, Nebraska State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 42° 0.667′ N, 96° 34.6′ W. Marker is in Bancroft, Nebraska, in Cuming County. Marker can be reached from Elm Street just west of Nebraska Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 Elm St, Bancroft NE 68004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John G. Neihardt Study (within shouting distance of this marker); M60A3 Tank (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bancroft (approx. 0.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 24 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 3, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?