Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Antioch Baptist Church
>>-- 3 mi. -->
In Sept. 1827, 4,000 people including many ministers attended a session of the Ocmulgee Association in the churchyard. A sermon by Antioch’s minister, Dr. Adiel Sherwood, started a revival that swept through about 22 counties bringing 16,000 converts in two years. Dr. Sherwood preached 333 sermons in 30 counties in that period.
In 1845 Antioch Church moved to its present location.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 104-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 30.282′ N, 83° 32.61′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Monticello Highway (Georgia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennington (approx. 2.1 miles away); WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 2.6 miles away); Godfrey (approx. 3.8 miles away); Brownwood-Centennial (approx. 4 miles away); Reese (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fairview (approx. 6.1 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 6.2 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,012 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 15, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on July 1, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on June 14, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.