Tours in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first settlers to this area came by wagon from Teutopolis, Illinois, in 1872. Having arrived on St. Martin's day, November 11, they called the settlement Martinsville. The name was later changed to Tours in honor of the city in France where St. Martin served as Bishop.
After the construction of homes was completed, the settlers began building a structure for the services of St. Martin's Catholic Church. Built under the direction of the Rev. J.L. Bussant, it was dedicated in 1874. The small log building was later replaced in the 1880s by a larger frame edifice.
A community school was started in 1883. Classes were conducted in the second floor rooms of the Theodore Schroeder home (.2 Mi. E) until 1890, when a separate school building was completed on the church grounds.
Tours was once the site of a Post Office, Harness and Saddle Shop, Cotton Gins, Saloons, Blacksmith Shops, Meeting Halls, and a Town Brass Band. As area farm income decreased in the 1930s and young people left to seek jobs in other cities, the population declined. Several homes, a meeting hall, ball field, and a church building constructed in
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5511.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 45.598′ N, 97° 2.315′ W. Marker is in Tours, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Martins Church Road and Big Bass Road, on the left when traveling east on St. Martins Church Road. The marker is located in front of the St. Martins Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 St Martins Church Road, West TX 76691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Martin Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); The Crash at Crush (approx. 3.9 miles away); Groppe Building (approx. 4.3 miles away); West (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Crash at Crush (approx. 4.4 miles away); Church of the Assumption (approx. 4˝ miles away); St. Mary's School (approx. 4˝ miles away); Col. Leonard Williams (approx. 7.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Tours Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.