Tours in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Martin Cemetery
A wagon train of German Catholic Settlers from Teutopolis, Illinois arrived in this area on November 11, 1874, the Feast Day of St. Martin of Tours. That year, they built and dedicated a log cabin Church to St. Martin. The John Deiterman family donated five acres for the Church and two for a Cemetery. Other German, Czech and Moravian families soon joined the farming community.
In 1887, County Surveyors discovered an error in the Cemetery's location. It was actually sited on Anton Halbrooks property. He sold 10 acres across the road, and the graves were moved to the new site.
Although several unmarked graves exist, the Cemetery's first marked grave is that of Clement Uptmore (1831-1876). Represented at the cemetery are generations of the Deiterman, Jupe, Pfeiler, Seith and Willenborg families. Among the numerous decorative gravestones are metal crosses and granite and marble markers. A large crucifix marks the graves of two Parish Priests. An association maintains the burial ground, a significant reminder of the German and Czech history of Tours. Members hold a memorial service each November celebrating all souls day.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13283.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 45.391′ N, 97° 2.708′ W. Marker is in Tours, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is on Heritage Parkway (Farm to Market Road 2311) 0.2 miles west of St. Martins Church Road, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located just to the left of the East front gate along the fence. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West TX 76691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tours Community (approx. half a mile away); The Crash at Crush (approx. 3˝ miles away); Groppe Building (approx. 4.2 miles away); West (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Crash at Crush (approx. 4.3 miles away); Church of the Assumption (approx. 4.4 miles away); St. Mary's School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Col. Leonard Williams (approx. 8 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Tours Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Catholic Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
3. St. Martin's Day. Wikipedia (Submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.