Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Aquilla in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Spivey Crossing

 
 
Spivey Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
1. Spivey Crossing Marker
Inscription.  

Spivey Crossing is a farming community located along the Brazos River Valley. Established as early as 1854, Spivey Crossing was an old wagon trail crossing named for Temple Spivey, the first known settler of the Smith Bend community of Bosque County. Spivey was a wealthy planter who migrated to Cherokee County in 1849. He purchased land 1853 in McLennan County (present-day Bosque county) on the west bend of the Brazos river. The old wagon crossing named after Spivey was located about one half mile upstream of Cedar Creek which flows from Bosque County into the Brazos river.

The Spivey Crossing community was formerly known as the Lebanon community and was established around the Lebanon Methodist Church established in 1856. Temple Spivey lived on Mill Creek on the north side of the Brazos River in Bosque County while a group of farmers arrived in the area that became the Lebanon community around 1855. William E. Anderson and David Hughes Williams became the first documented permanent settlers of the Lebanon community. In 1880, the Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, South was destroyed by fire and the congregation decided to move
Spivey Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
2. Spivey Crossing Marker
to a new location to accommodate the expanding community. A new church and school was built two miles east of the original.

After the consolidation of the school with the Aquilla School District in 1945 the Lebanon community gradually became known as Spivey Crossing. This community was closely linked with other Brazos River Valley communities that were connected through the Old Brazos River wagon crossings, including Spivey Crossing.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18088.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 31° 48.37′ N, 97° 16.791′ W. Marker is near Aquilla, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2114 and County Highway 1304, on the left when traveling west on Highway 2114. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aquilla TX 76622, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lebanon United Methodist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Smith Bend - Coon Creek Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Coon Creek Community (approx. 5.9 miles away); Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church
A view of both highways next to the Marker. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
3. A view of both highways next to the Marker.
(approx. 10.1 miles away); Whitney Messenger (approx. 10.3 miles away); Whitney (approx. 10.3 miles away); King Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 10½ miles away); Church of the Assumption (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Lebanon, Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021