Jeffersontown in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Saint Edward Church
The church (60'x30') was completed in October 1884. In 1885, St. Agnes Mission was renamed St. Edward Church in honor of St. Edward the Confessor, who was King of England from 1042-1066. The church building was moved about 30 feet west in 1904 to provide space for a rectory. The church was enlarged in 1933-34 as the parish grew to over 200 families.
A two-room school was opened in February of 1907 for 20 students. In 1919 an additional 200' along Watterson Trail was purchased. A new three-room school was completed in 1947 to accommodate 140 students.
By the early 1950s the parish had outgrown the buildings on this site and an 11-acre site was purchased in Charlane Heights on Sue Helen Drive about a mile from here. The school moved in September 1956, and the new church was dedicated on January 28, 1961.
Topics. This historical marker is Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1878.
Location. 38° 11.643′ N, 85° 33.96′ W. Marker is in Jeffersontown, Kentucky, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Watterson Trail south of Taylorsville Road (Kentucky Road 155), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10415 Watterson Trail, Louisville KY 40299, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trainer and Jockey (within shouting distance of this marker); Conrad-Seaton House / Valentine Conrad Pottery (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Restoration Project (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christ Lutheran Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); "Nunnlea" (approx. 2 miles away); Tyler Settlement (approx. 2.3 miles away); The R.C. Tway House (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jeffersontown.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 5, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 2, 3. submitted on December 7, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.