Near Smith Bend in Bosque County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Coon Creek Community
The Coon Creek community evolved from the Old Cyrus community, the oldest settlement in southeastern Bosque County. The first settler was Temple Spivey who purchased land on the Brazos River in 1853. In January 1856, John Jackson Smith purchased 1,280 acres of land and sent his son, Burton, to prepare the settlement, Burton Smith died 1856, and John Jackson Smith's son-in-law, Silas McCabe and his wife, Ann Smith, relocated from DeWitt County to the Smith Plantation.
In August 1856, School District Four was established and Silas McCabe opened a school in a one-room log cabin on the south side of Coon Creek opposite his home. In 1883, the Cyrus community evolved into two separate communities. The area south of Coon Creek became known as Smith Bend and the area north of the creek as Coon Creek. The two communities share a cemetery established by John Jackson Smith in 1856: the Smith Bend-Coon Creek Cemetery.
A new log school was constructed at Crystal Spring on Coon Creek, two miles west of McCabe's School. By 1900, a wooden frame schoolhouse was completed. In 1929, the existing schoolhouse was built. The Coon Creek Methodist
The remaining remnants of the Coon Creek community include the 1909 home of William A. Vaughn, a two-story frame home known as the "Pie" Bonds House after Vaughn's son-in-law, Walter Pope "Pie" Bonds. The school, church and historic home in Coon Creek continue to bond the community together.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18740.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 49.414′ N, 97° 22.669′ W. Marker is near Smith Bend, Texas, in Bosque County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 56 ¼ mile east of County Highway 2490, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5929 FM 56, Clifton TX 76634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith Bend - Coon Creek Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Spivey Crossing (approx. 5.9 miles away); Lebanon United Methodist ChurchPleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); Whitney (approx. 9.4 miles away); Whitney Messenger (approx. 9.4 miles away); King Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); Fort Graham Cemetery (approx. 14 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Coon Creek Community. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Smith Bend Community. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.