Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Meridian in Bosque County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. James Episcopal Church

 
 
St. James Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
1. St. James Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  

Local Episcopalians founded the St. James congregation in 1913. Charter members Dr. James Julius Lumpkin and his wife, Ida Etoile (Fuller), donated this site, and church officials consecrated the new facilities that year. The church prospered in service to the community and for a time shared its facilities with Faith Lutheran Church. Membership at St. James declined over the years, and in 1994, the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth donated the deconsecrated property to the Alliance for Justice Foundation. The vernacular frame sanctuary exhibits gothic revival influences, with lancet windows and a gable end entry with a segmented glass arch. The building is flanked by what was the Parish Hall of St. James.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13712.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
 
Location. 31° 55.672′ N, 97° 39.515′ W. Marker is in Meridian, Texas, in Bosque County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of North Bosque Street and E Street, on the left when traveling north on North Bosque Street. The marker is located near the front door of the former Church building which is now a private residence. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 514 North Bosque Street, Meridian TX 76665, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lumpkin-Woodruff House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Meridian (approx. ¼ mile away); General Alison Nelson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bosque County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Martha Mabray Randal (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Russell Daniel Holt (approx. half a mile away); Bosque County (approx. 0.9 miles away); John A. Lomax (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meridian.
 
Also see . . .  Protestant Episcopal Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
St. James Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
2. St. James Episcopal Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161841

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024