Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Iredell in Bosque County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Iredell First United Methodist Church

 
 
Iredell First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
1. Iredell First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

In 1869, Methodists in the Iredell area began worshiping at Hester Schoolhouse, a building used by both Baptists and Methodists for services. The Rev. Peter W. Gravis served as pastor. Two years later, the Methodist congregation moved to Wills Chapel, a half mile east of present Iredell, on land donated by Dr. J.S. Wills for a church and campground. In the late 1870s, members moved the Wills Chapel to a site in town. The growing Methodist Church increased in membership and in facilities throughout the next 100 years. Members also established programs and groups to support the congregation and the local community.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13086.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the United Methodist Church Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 31° 59.084′ N, 97° 52.285′ W. Marker is in Iredell, Texas, in Bosque County. Marker is at the intersection of South Eastland Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(Farm to Market Road 927) and East McLain Street (Farm to Market Road 1238), on the right when traveling north on South Eastland Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 South Eastland Street, Iredell TX 76649, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverside Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fulton Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Old Hico (approx. 8.6 miles away); Captain J.J. Cureton, C.S.A. (approx. 8.6 miles away); Freedom Is Not Free (approx. 8.6 miles away); In Memory of the Gallant Dead (approx. 8.6 miles away); James Buckner "Buck" Barry, C.S.A. (approx. 8.6 miles away); John Rankin Alford (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Iredell, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Methodist Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Iredell First United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
2. Iredell First United Methodist Church and Marker
Church bell and sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
3. Church bell and sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 109 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161851

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024