Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
De Leon in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

De Leon Peanut Company

 
 
De Leon Peanut Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
1. De Leon Peanut Company Marker
Inscription.  

Cotton was the major cash crop for farmers in Comanche County until the early 20th century. The combined effects of disastrous weather conditions in 1908-09, a national economic downturn, and a major infestation of the Mexican Boll Weevil in 1914 caused many Comanche County farmers to abandon th decades-long reliance on cotton and turn to the more lucrative prospect of peanut farming.

Because shipping peanuts to Fort Worth for processing reduced local farmers profits, N.T. Haskins organized the De Leon Peanut Company in 1912. Its first board of directors included R.W. Higginbotham, W.H. Williams, B.T. Higginbotham, Jr., J.B. Wilson, A.E. Hampton, and W.E. Lowe. By 1914, peanuts were the leading cash crop in the county, and the company enlarged its operations to meet growing demand. A six-story main building was completed in 1917; soon the plant was processing up to ten railroad carloads of peanuts per day.

The business survived an economic crisis in the 1920s and remained a strong force in the local community, which has been called the Peanut Capital of the World." Acquired by a national company in 1967, the De Leon
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Peanut Company has played a vital role in Comanche County history.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1187.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 32° 6.645′ N, 98° 32.177′ W. Marker is in De Leon, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is at the intersection of North Texas Street (State Highway 16) and West LaSalle Street, on the left when traveling south on North Texas Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: De Leon TX 76444, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Central Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Frances Marie Sparks Brown (approx. ¾ mile away); Zion Hill Baptist Church (approx. 9.7 miles away); Site of Old Gill Farm (approx. 10.1 miles away); Desdemona Cemetery (approx. 10½ miles away); Dr. David Verle Rodgers (approx. 10.9 miles away); Site of Blackwell Hospital (approx. 10.9 miles away); Fort Blair, C.S.A. (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in De Leon.
 
Also see . . .  Peanut Culture. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
De Leon Peanut Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
2. De Leon Peanut Company Marker
De Leon Peanut Company Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 21, 2020
3. De Leon Peanut Company Marker - wide view
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 391 times since then and 134 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161904

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024