Near Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Judge Morris Estate
Home of Prominent Attorney and Judge
The original structure was a 22-story gray fieldstone house built in the 1790s by John Barclay. The home was purchased by Andrew Gray in the 1820s. Gray made additions to the structure and named it "Chestnut Hill."
The Gray family lived at Chestnut Hill for more than 50 years. Andrew Gray served in the state senate and was instrumental in passing legislation that founded a state college in Newark. That school became the University of Delaware.
Judge Hugh M. Morris, a native of Delaware, purchased the house and surrounding acreage in 1933 as a home for his family.
[photo caption] The house when it was purchased by Judge Morris.
Judge Hugh M. Morris
Morris was a respected attorney, distinguished judge and was president of the University of Delaware's Board of Trustees from 1939 to 1959. He left instructions that the house and land be given to the University of Delaware upon his death. The University of Delaware named one of its libraries the Hugh M. Morris Library in his honor.
Today, the Estate is available to the public to enjoy the grounds and for tours and programs hosted by the park. It may also be rented for special events.
Erected 2015 by Delaware State Parks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Environment • Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Delaware State Parks 🏞️ series list.
Location. 39° 42.367′ N, 75° 42.5′ W. Marker is near Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from Polly Drummond Hill Road. Marker located within the Judge Morris Estate, which is part of White Clay Creek State Park. Park entrance fees may apply for entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19711, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Judge Morris Estate (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Meeteer House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Robert Kirkwood, Jr. (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. John the Baptist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Hiram Lodge No. 25 (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Additional keywords. Delaware State Parks, Newark, White Clay Creek
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 6, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.