Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakeview in Lake County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Chandler House

 
 
Chandler House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, November 28, 2020
1. Chandler House Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1905, this Queen Anne style house was constructed by J.N. Watson and Cornelia Bernard Knox Watson as their home. Cornelia Knox was a well known photographer of the Lakeview scene.
The house changed hands several times after 1919 and was occupied in the later years by George and Ottie Chandler, well known ranchers in the area. Mrs. Chandler left the house to the Lake County Historical Society.
 
Erected by Lake County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
 
Location. 42° 11.381′ N, 120° 20.907′ W. Marker is in Lakeview, Oregon, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of North H Street and Center Street on North H Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeview OR 97630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Community Senior Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Odd Fellows Bldg. (about 600 feet away); Heryford Building (about 700 feet away); Lake County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away);
Chandler House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, November 28, 2020
2. Chandler House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Heryford House (about 800 feet away); Wilcox Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Post & King Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oregon Outback Scenic Byway (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeview.
 
More about this marker. The current marker replaces the original marker monumented by the Lake County Historical Society in 1989.
 
Regarding Chandler House. The Chandler House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. There is an interesting excerpt from the NRHP Nomination Form that highlight's Cornelia Barnard Knox and it reads: In December, 1904, Mrs. Knox married John Watson. Cornelia Watson was a well-known and respected photographer in Lakeview, where she maintained a studio. When the town of Lakeview burned in 1900, she took in the homeless and fed them. She took pictures of the smoking ruins for The Portland Oregonian, before the business center was rebuilt. She served on the local School Board of Examiners. During an outbreak of typhoid fever, she nursed the sick. Much of her time was divided between her studio and helping others.
 
Chandler House image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, November 28, 2020
3. Chandler House
Original Chandler House marker from 1989 image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen
4. Original Chandler House marker from 1989
This marker was replaced by the current marker sometime after 2009.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 6, 2020, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021