Carbon in Eastland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church
Organized under a brush arbor soon after the founding of the town of Carbon, this congregation traces its history to 1885. The Rev. W.B. Cobb served as first pastor of the church, which began with twelve charter members. Through the years the congregation has grown and established organizations such as the Woman's Missionary Society and Youth Programs. Members of the church have participated in area missonary activities. First Baptist Church has been part of the history of Carbon for over one hundred years.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1606.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 16.085′ N, 98° 49.706′ W. Marker is in Carbon, Texas, in Eastland County. Marker is at the intersection of Cannel Street and Avenue G, on the left when traveling east on Cannel Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Cannel Street, Carbon TX 76435, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carbon Methodist Church Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carbon City JailEarly Settlers of Eastland County (approx. 9.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Eastland (approx. 9.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Bankhead Highway (approx. 9.2 miles away); Early Banking in Eastland (approx. 9.2 miles away); Eastland County World War I Memorial (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbon.
Also see . . .
1. Baptist Church. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Carbon Texas. Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 22 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.