Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Carbondale in Jackson County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Station #6

 
 
Station #6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 26, 2020
1. Station #6 Marker
Inscription.  In 1898, the railroad industry was approaching its height in Carbondale. The expansion of the Illinois Central Railroad resulted in numerous families relocating to the area and major expansion of railroad facilities north of the Town Square. This circa 1900 photo depicts a southbound view of the railroad property intersecting at Jackson Street. The Division Headquarters Building is visible to the left side of the photo, and the freight depot is on the right. A big artesian well and seven new switches were constructed to handle the large number of freight trains slated to be dispatched from Carbondale.

The abundance of southern Illinois coal and a greatly expanded loading chute at the switchyard made Carbondale a major coding point for Illinois Central trains. Railroad schedules published in 1898 show at least thirty-three trains a day stopping in Carbondale on five different shipping lines.
 
Erected by Carbondale Noon Kiwanis Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 37° 43.69′ 
Station #6 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 26, 2020
2. Station #6 Marker
N, 89° 12.97′ W. Marker is in Carbondale, Illinois, in Jackson County. Marker is on East Jackson Street west of North Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 N Washington St, Carbondale IL 62901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Station #5 (within shouting distance of this marker); Station #7 (within shouting distance of this marker); Station #4 (within shouting distance of this marker); Station #8 (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Harmon Brush (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Station #2 (about 400 feet away); World War I (about 400 feet away); World War II (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbondale.
 
More about this marker. This is the sixth of nine markers around Carbondale Town Square, as part of the Tablescapes walking tour program highlighting Carbondale's railroad and founding history.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021