Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carbondale in Jackson County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Station #9

 
 
Station #9 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 26, 2020
1. Station #9 Marker
Inscription.  In 1868, the city passed an ordinance forbidding frame construction on the Square. The photo to the left (ca. 1900) depicts the New Brush Building at 100 South Illinois Avenue. The store was built in 1895 to replace the city's first commercial structure, a wood frame general store built in 1852 by Carbondale founder Daniel Brush. The owner, Harriet Rupp Brush, daughter-in-law of Daniel Brush, retained her father, Isaac Rapp, to design and build the new building with principal facades on both Main Street and Illinois Avenue. The adjoining building at 106 South Illinois Avenue, completed by 1882, is an L-shaped building having a prominent three-story façade on Illinois Avenue and two-story façade on Main Street.

In 1856, James Morgan built a three-story brick building at 100 North Illinois Avenue. The photo to the right (ca. 1910) depicts the Morgan Store following a remodeling in 1906. In 1928, the Carbondale National Bank constructed the existing building. It has a smooth limestone surface and a sleek styling reminiscent of the Midwestern Art Deco architectural style fashionable in the 1920s and 1930s.
 
Erected by
Station #9 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 26, 2020
2. Station #9 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Barrett, Twomey, Morris, Broom & Hughes.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 37° 43.627′ N, 89° 13.005′ W. Marker is in Carbondale, Illinois, in Jackson County. Marker is on West Main Street (Illinois Route 13) east of South Illinois Avenue (U.S. 51), on the left when traveling west. West Main Street is one way, going west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 W Main St, Carbondale IL 62901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Train Conductor (a few steps from this marker); Station #1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Harmon Brush (within shouting distance of this marker); Station #8 (within shouting distance of this marker); Station #2 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Station #4 (about 300 feet away); Station #3 (about 300 feet away); World War I (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carbondale.
 
More about this marker. This is the last of nine markers around Carbondale Town Square, as part of the Tablescapes walking tour program highlighting Carbondale's railroad and founding history.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 9, 2021