Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Springfield in Sangamon County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Illinois State University - Concordia Seminary

 
 
Illinois State University - Concordia Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 27, 2020
1. Illinois State University - Concordia Seminary Marker
Inscription.  In 1852 the family of Pascal Enos donated this ground for an institution of higher learning. Rev. Francis Springer, an educator and Springfield's first Lutheran Minister, led efforts to establish Illinois State University, a college preparatory school, here. An impressive four story facility was completed in 1859. The school offered a classic curriculum and theology classes were offered under Prof. Simeon Harkey.

Many citizens of Springfield, including Abraham Lincoln, supported the school with annual subscriptions. Robert Todd Lincoln and John Milton Hay, President Lincoln's future secretary, were students here.

Numerous problems plagued the school and attendance never exceeded 140 students. In 1869 the trustees closed the school, although several members of the faculty reestablished it in Carthage, Illinois as Carthage College. The properties were sold at Sheriff's Auction and Rev. William Passavant utilized the facility as an orphanage for a short time. Eventually the properties were purchased by Trinity Lutheran Church with plans for a Lutheran female college, which never materialized. However, The Lutheran Church-Missouri
Illinois State University - Concordia Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 27, 2020
2. Illinois State University - Concordia Seminary Marker
Marker is at the end of the 13th Street, which is a cul-de-sac
Synod viewed the facilities as a solution for overcrowding at its St. Louis Seminary and in 1875, under the leadership of Prof. August Craemer, Concordia Theological Seminary moved into the abandoned building.

The building - renamed Die Laffeemuehle because it resembled a coffee mill - was razed in 1931. However, other buildings were erected, acreage was added and the seminary was eminently successful for 100 years. In 1975 the Missouri Synod voted to move the seminary to Fort Wayne, Indiana. The campus is now used by the Illinois Department of Corrections.
 
Erected 2013 by Central Illinois District of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 39° 48.53′ N, 89° 38.273′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Illinois, in Sangamon County. Marker is on North 13th Street north of Concordia Court, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on Department of Corrections Grounds at the Northern Terminal. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Concordia Ct, Springfield IL 62702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Lithuanians in Springfield (approx. half a mile away); General John A. McClernand (approx. 0.6 miles away); Reservoir Park and Lanphier High School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The 1858 Senate Campaign (approx. 0.7 miles away); Acts of Intolerance (approx. 0.7 miles away); The History of Union Station (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lincoln’s Farewell to Springfield (approx. 0.7 miles away); Great Western Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021