Constructed in 1881
Filling the countless hours proved to be a soldier's greatest challenge. According to one soldier, "everybody is writing who can raise a pencil or sheet of paper."
When mail was delayed, soldiers turned to reading books. The library was in existence in 1875 and contained ninety-four books.
This building also served as a schoolhouse and chapel.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Forts and Castles.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 45° 39.493′ N, 97° 31.806′ W. Marker was in Eden, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker could be reached from 434th Ave. 1˝ miles south of 118th Street. Located 375 feet from the parking lot on the main foot path. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 11907 434th Ave, Eden SD 57232, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Library-Schoolhouse (here, next to this marker); North Barracks
Also see . . . Fort Sisseton State Historic Park. (Submitted on February 3, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2017, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 326 times since then. Last updated on December 8, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 3, 2017, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.