During the winter of 1864, there was an urgent need to build suitable shelter for the Calvary’s horses. The soldiers quickly built a log stable with a roof made of branches and slough grass. A heavy snowfall collapsed the roof, killing many of the horses.
When the Calvary was replaced by infantry regiments, the need for horses was reduced. Later, the infantry built this stone structure for their horses and mules.
Erected by South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Forts and Castles.
Location. 45° 39.53′ N, 97° 31.821′ W. Marker is near Eden, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker is on 434th Avenue. Located within Fort Sisseton State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11907 434th Ave, Eden SD 57232, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker);
Credits. This page was last revised on December 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.