Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Havre de Grace

War of 1812

 
 
Havre de Grace Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Havre de Grace Marker
Inscription.  Here on the morning of May 3, 1813, British Forces under Admiral Cockburn landed, sacked, and burned the town. The principal defenses were two small batteries on Concord Point. The “Potato Battery” on high ground, was manned to the last by John O’Neill.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812.
 
Location. 39° 32.447′ N, 76° 5.112′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Concord Street and Lafayette Street on Concord Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Concord Point Light Keeper’s House and Property, 1827-1920 (here, next to this marker); Keeper of the Light (here, next to this marker); Concord Point Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Hero's Reward (within shouting distance of this marker); Adding On (within shouting distance of this marker); Post U.S. Lighthouse Service Use
Havre de Grace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, June 6, 2008
2. Havre de Grace Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Keepers (within shouting distance of this marker); Keeper's House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
More about this marker. It is located on the grounds of the lighthouse.
 
Regarding Havre de Grace. “After the other defenders ran away, O’Neill single-handedly manned the artillery battery near where the lighthouse now stands. According to his great-granddaughter, it was called the ‘Potato Battery’ because of the size of the iron shot fired by the two six-pound and one nine-pound guns.” —from the book 1812: Rediscovering Chesapeake Bay’s Forgotten War by David Headly.
 
Also see . . .  1812: Rediscovering Chesapeake Bay’s Forgotten War. 2005 book by David Headley on Amazon.com. (Submitted on June 26, 2007.) 
 
Concord Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
3. Concord Point Lighthouse
Havre de Grace Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
4. Havre de Grace Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,316 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on December 9, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   4. submitted on December 15, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021