Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1870 Samuel Sloan (1811-92) and E. A. Gracey (1837 - 1915) donated five acres of land near the center of the pioneer town of Lisbon, now part of Dallas, as a church and cemetery site. The oldest known grave is that of James J. Dowd, who died Oct. 24, 1871. A community church and school was erected in 1871; later separate churches were built. After the school was closed in 1917 and the churches were moved to other locations, the property was used only for burials. Descendants of the town's early settlers formed the Lisbon Cemetery Association in 1948 to restore and maintain the site.
Marker sponsor: Lisbon Cemetery Association
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6762.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 41.737′ N, 96° 47.73′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from Ann Arbor Avenue. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Overton Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Joppee Community (approx. 3.4 miles away); Colonel William G. Cooke (approx. 3.4 miles away); Texas Theatre (approx. 3.7 miles away); Oak Cliff United Methodist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cliff Temple Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Officer J.D. Tippit (approx. 3.8 miles away); Oak Cliff Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.