Dow City in Crawford County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
S. E. Dow House
National Register of Historic Places
June 14, 1972
National Park Service
Sign: Compliments Dow City Churches
Erected by Dow City Churches.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 41° 55.412′ N, 95° 29.854′ W. Marker is in Dow City, Iowa, in Crawford County. Marker is on South Prince Street 0.1 miles south of Charles Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located within the Dow House Historic Site, beside the fence on the east side of the S. E. Dow House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 513 South Prince Street, Dow City IA 51528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding S. E. Dow House. National Register of Historic Places #72000471.
Also see . . .
1. Simon E. Dow House. The two-story, 13-room, red brick house was built in 1872 by Simon E. Dow, who in 1869 co-founded Dow City and later became one of its leading businessmen. In 1970, it was bought (Submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Early Dow City History. In 1855 was the coming of Simeon E. Dow, who was destined to be the most prominent factor in the upbuilding of the locality, Mr. Dow was a comparatively wealthy man when he came to Crawford County. He took an extensive tract of some of the finest land and built what was for those days a most luxurious log cabin. Mr. Dow brought with him a fine herd of cattle and in 1856 he brought to the county the first pair of thoroughbred shorthorns it had ever boasted. (Submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.