Selmer in McNairy County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
In affectionate memory of the early settlers of McNairy County and the Town of Purdy
By some of their descendants AD 1903
McNairy County was established October 9, 1820, and Purdy became the County Seat in 1822.
The County Seat was removed to Selmer in 1920.
Erected 1903 by Descendants of early settlers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 10.229′ N, 88° 35.604′ W. Marker is in Selmer, Tennessee, in McNairy County. Marker is at the intersection of East Court Avenue (Business U.S. 64) and South 3rd Street, on the left when traveling north on East Court Avenue. This marker is on the South side of Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 W Court Ave, Selmer TN 38375, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McNairy County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); McNairy County Confederate Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Mobile & Ohio Railroad (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Trail of Tears (approx. 1.7 The Hurst Nation (approx. 4.3 miles away); Fielding Hurst and Purdy (approx. 5˝ miles away); Purdy (approx. 5.6 miles away); Approach to Shiloh (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selmer.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.