McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Buckner
John (Jack) and Polly McGarrah and family came to this site from Tennessee in 1842. The third settler in present Collin County, McGarrah opened a trading post to barter for hides and furs. While in the act of building a family fort, he and his men had to defend themselves from roaming hostile Indians.
The Texas Legislature created Collin County on April 3, 1846, directing that its county seat, to be named "Buckner", would be no more than three miles from the geographic center. Buckner townsite was soon laid off here in McGarrah's settlement. On the Fourth of July, citizens met here and elected their first county officials. They also raised a military company for the Mexican War. On Sept. 21 there was an auction of Buckner town lots; on Nov. 25, 1846, the post office opened, with McGarrah as postmaster.
By 1848 it was noticed that Buckner townsite was outside the legal limits for the county seat. The Legislature ordered another election and named the new county seat "McKinney", honoring early settler Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Residents moved their homes and other buildings to McKinney
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 555.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 33° 13.14′ N, 96° 40.056′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from West University Drive (U.S. 380) 0.1 miles west of Bois D'Arc Road. The marker is located directly behind the North Texas Palms & Pottery business. The parking lot is used for the Trader's Day business and they charge a fee for entrance on the 3rd weekend of the month. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4202 West University Drive, McKinney TX 75071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buckner Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Scott Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Collin County Farm (approx. 2.4 miles away); Collin County Poor Farm (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 2˝ miles away); McLarry Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); George McGarrah Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Also see . . . Buckner Settlement. McGarrah's settlement or Buckner townsite was an early pioneer trading post around a family fort. (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 16 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.