Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Named in honor of U.S. President James Madison, the town of Madison was established as the permanent seat of Morgan County and incorporated December 12, 1809. Surveyor Lewis MacLean laid out the community using a typical Washington-type plan, characterized by a central public square defined by four principal streets - Monroe (now Main), Jefferson, Washington, and Hancock.
Madison prospered as the site of government, transportation, and commerce. The previous Morgan County Courthouse (c. 1845; lost to fire 1916) was erected here on the town square. The bustling community’s location also proved advantageous: first, as a stop along the main stagecoach route from Philadelphia via Charleston to New Orleans; later, as the crossroads of two major railroad lines; and now, as the intersection of an Interstate and three state highways.
As a commercial center of an agricultural economy, downtown Madison teamed with businesses serving the needs of cotton planters, small farmers, and
Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Madison is recognized as a significant part of our County's history.
Erected 2008 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 35.741′ N, 83° 28.079′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 278) just east of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the U.S. Post Office in the old town square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 S Main Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Banking Institutions (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodging Establishments Civic Advancement (about 300 feet away); William Tappan Thompson (about 400 feet away); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (about 400 feet away); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (about 400 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.