Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
Pioneer Episcopalians worshiped at the Kerr County Courthouse in 1881. In 1884-88, they erected a small frame Gothic church. The Rev. J. E. Hole served 1890-91 as first resident Rector; the Rev. Richard Galbraith, 1894-1908, as first permanent Rector. In 1908 Saint Peter's became a Parish. The Rev. J. E. Ellis, 1908-13 Rector, founded a Boy Scout troop here, before Scouting had originated nationally. The present church was built in 1928. Annexes were added later. The greatly enlarged membership includes descendants of early communicants.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4486.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
Location. 30° 2.66′ N, 99° 8.187′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 27) 0.1 miles north of Tivy Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 St Peter's Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Notre Dame Catholic School (about 600 Notre Dame Catholic Church (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christian Dietert Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fawcett Furniture Building (1882) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kerrville Telephone Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Kerrville Mountain Sun (approx. ¼ mile away); Guthrie Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.