Fort Johnson in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Has Been Designated a
National Historic Landmark
This Site Possesses National Significance
In Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1973.
Location. 42° 57.429′ N, 74° 14.418′ W. Marker is in Fort Johnson, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 5 and Fort Johnson Avenue (New York State Route 67), on the right when traveling west on State Route 5. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Johnson NY 12070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Johnson (here, next to this marker); The Orchard at Old Fort Johnson (here, next to this marker); Fort Johnson, 1749 (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct Putman's Lock Grocery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Claus Mansion (approx. one mile away); Jan Wemp (Wemple) (approx. one mile away); Amsterdam World War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Johnson.
More about this marker.
Old Fort Johnson is home to the Montgomery County Historical Society.
Regarding Fort Johnson.
Old Fort Johnson is the limestone house built by William Johnson in 1749. It was fortified during the French & Indian Wars from 1755-63. Johnson convened many Native American conferences here as the British Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Northern Department. King George II made Johnson a Baronet in 1755 after his heroic victories in the Battles of Lake George & Fort Niagara. Old Fort Johnson and other Johnson family homes were seized bythe rebel New York legislature during the American Revolution.
Also see . . .
1. Old Fort Johnson - Montgomery County Historical Society. (Submitted on December 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Sir William Johnson, 1st Baronet (Wikipedia). (Submitted on December 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.