Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
When the SA&AP Railroad made Kerrville the last stop on their line, Frank J. Beitel, owner of several lumberyards in San Antonio, bought land in Kerrville in 1889 to open a lumberyard. With Kerr County's variety of trees and community growth, the lumberyard flourished. In the early 20th century, the lumberyard consisted of a warehouse, office, a retail building and large lumber shed. The original train depot burned in 1913. Beitel sold a portion of his land along the line for a new depot and received a spur of tracks onto his property to load and offload goods which greatly increased efficiency and his business. For over a century, the lumberyard played a critical role in the growth and development of Kerrville.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18621.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 30° 2.992′ N, 99° 8.364′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 Clay Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. San Antonio & Aransas Pass Passenger Train Depot (a few steps from this marker); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Settlers of Kerr County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kerr County (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Kerr (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bocock Civil War Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles A. Schreiner (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Also see . . . San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway. The SA&AP Railroad used Kerrville as one of its end of the line which helped with Kerrville's local economy and growth. (Submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.