Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909)

715 Water Street

 
 
Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
1. Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker
Inscription.  

Erected for Capt. Charles Schreiner by Davey & Schott, contractors in 1909, this building became home to William Boeckmann & Co. who operates primarily as a pool hall.

Said to be the town's first jeweler, A.E. Self, moved here in 1919 after twice relocating, first from space he occupied beginning in 1903 inside the Rock Drug Store and next in a building beside the Masonic Building on Earl Garrett Street. The Self's remodeled to conform to the new Arcadia Theatre next door in 1926. In addition to jewelry, they offered optometry and film processing services. Blanche Self (later Blanche Self Hall) was the first film processor in Kerrville. Self's remained here until 1938 at which time they moved to 723 Water St., that building no longer in existence.

From 1939 until their move in 1945, the space was occupied by Garrett Insurance. Garrett shared its space during World War II with the Kerrville National Farm Loan Association. The Kerr County Aid Association, Fidelity Abstract, and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) committee. The VFW group helped young men qualify to be air cadets as part of their activities. Charles W. Henry
The Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker is located on the side of the building. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
2. The Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker is located on the side of the building.
operated his real estate business in the space from 1945 through 1948.

Ware's Shoes came next, in 1948, and remained the longest tenant until 1979 when it closed after 30 years. The space has been home to a variety of businesses since then, including Karen's House of Fashion 1984-1990, Borderland's 1991-1997, the City of Kerrville's Downtown Visitors Center/Main Street Office, and as of the installation of this plaque, an office for Andrew Murr, Texas House of Representatives for District 53.
 
Erected by Kerr County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 30° 2.765′ N, 99° 8.478′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Earl Garrett Street, on the right when traveling east on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 Water Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Favorite Saloon Building (1874) (a few steps from this marker); Schreiner Wool Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pampell Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sid Peterson (within shouting distance of this marker); Floyd A. Cailloux
Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
3. Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) Marker - wide view
The marker is the left marker of the two markers along the buildings.
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Schreiner Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kerrville (about 400 feet away); Captain Charles Schreiner (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021