Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Stanton in Mercer County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Mandan Overlook

Fort Clark State Historic Site

 
 
Fort Mandan Overlook Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 28, 2020
1. Fort Mandan Overlook Marker
Captions: (center left) Patrick Gass described the construction of Fort Mandan as follows: "The following is the manner in which our huts and fort were built. The hosts were in two rows, containing four rooms each, and joined at one end forming an angle."; (upper right) Lewis and Clark map showing Fort Mandan in relation (....) Mandan Villages.
Inscription.  Eighteen years before the establishment of the Mandan Village of Mih-tutta-hang-kush, a settlement of a different kind was being built a few miles northwest of this point. In November 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition began construction of their winter quarters, which they called Fort Mandan in honor of the Mandan people. The expedition spent the winter of 1804-05 at Fort Mandan before continuing their ascent of the Missouri River the following spring. As of 2009, the exact location of Fort Mandan remains a mystery. Since 1805, the Missouri River has changed course several times. The movement of the river has washed most physical traces of Fort Mandan. From maps made by Captain Clark and others, it is safe to assume the remains of Fort lies somewhere in the river valley before you.

(1800 to 1870 timeline across the bottom)
• 1804-1806 - Lewis & Clark Expedition passes through the area, • 1822 - Mandan village of Mih-tutta-hang-kush established, • By 1830, Fort Clark Trading Post established, • 1837 - Smallpox epidemic decimates 90% of Mandans at Mih-tutta-hang-kush, • 1838 - Arikaras occupy the former Mandan village
Fort Mandan Overlook Marker image. Click for full size.
By Google maps, December 14, 2020
2. Fort Mandan Overlook Marker
of Mih-tutta-hang-kush, • 1850 - Primeau's Post established, • 1860 - Fort Clark destroyed by fire, • 1861- Arikaras abandon village
 
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ExplorationForts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition series list.
 
Location. 47° 15.21′ N, 101° 16.373′ W. Marker is near Stanton, North Dakota, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from 37th Avenue Southwest near 12th Street Southwest (State Highway 200), on the right when traveling north. The marker is located at the Fort Clark State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanton ND 58571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mandans and Arikaras of the Village (a few steps from this marker); Earthlodges (within shouting distance of this marker); Smallpox and the Central Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Shelter (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winter Villages and Lodges (about 600 feet away); Missouri Valley Environs (about 600 feet away); Corrals (about 700 feet away); The People (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stanton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 27 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 14, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 7, 2021