Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Branch in Cedar County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Schoolhouse

 
 
Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 15, 2011
1. Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.  The early settlers of West Branch had a strong regard for education, and in 1853 they built this school. It was used not only as a school but as a place of worship for the members of the Society of Friends. Originally the building housed all of the West Branch students, but by the time Herbert Hoover's older brother Theodore was registered here, enrollment had increased and it was used only as a classroom for the primary students. Increasing membership in the Society of Friends also necessitated the building of a larger meetinghouse in 1857.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #31 Herbert Hoover, and the Quakerism series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 41° 40.225′ N, 91° 20.843′ W. Marker was in West Branch, Iowa, in Cedar County. Marker could be reached from Poplar Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: West Branch IA 52358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Learning their A, B, Cs (a few steps from this marker); Forging Character (a few steps from this marker); The Mackey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Herbert Hoover (within shouting distance of this marker); C.E. Smith House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Growing Town (within shouting distance of this marker); From Downey Street to Pennsylvania Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Branch.
 
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by marker # 162554 and is closer to the door of the schoolhouse.
 
Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, June 15, 2011
2. Schoolhouse
Schoolhouse Interior image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 15, 2011
3. Schoolhouse Interior
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 647 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on December 14, 2020, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=162553

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024